September, we slowed down a bit and laid off the travelling. The kids needed to get into the routine of school. Our friend, Jason, came for a visit. Alfonso managed to sneak out of work for a couple days and the two of them went sight seeing
sans kiddos. My mind can not even comprehend that concept.
Food
The food in restaurants is much better than I remember. Pizza leaves much to be desired. Their lasagna is a bit sketchy made with cheddar cheese and sour cream and very mushy noodles. Overall, the food is pretty good; we have found a few exceptional places.
 |
| Our pizza in town. Not exactly PC. |
Grocery shopping is infinitely easier than Israel because things are labeled in English. The dairy products here are heavenly. I'm not much of a yogurt person but I have been scarfing the rhubarb yogurt like crazy. It is soooooo good! Cheese and milk just taste better. Icecream however is made from reconstituted dried skim milk. Nasty. Seriously, who thought that was possibly a good idea? You can buy Ben and Jerry's or Haagan Dazs but it is pricey. The beef is grass fed and very tasty.
 |
| Funny names. Different flavors. |
There are various products that you can't buy or are hard to find. There are very few corn products as it is too cold to grow here. The entire Mexican food section is comprised of Old El Paso products. Breakfast cereal causes the drama in our house. Dante doesn't like any of the cereals here so he typically eats peanut butter toast with banana (the jars of peanut butter are tiny.) Some cereals are exactly the same but called something different i.e. Frosted Flakes are called Frosties and Mini Wheats are called Mini Max. Others are flavored differently such as Honey Nut Cheerios are just Honey Cheerios and don't contain nuts -- and they are made by Nestle instead of General Mills. Selections and brands are just more limited.
 |
| Random pictures on the OJ containers |
Driving
Driving here wasn't quite as bad as I'd expected. Driving on the left was an adjustment but didn't take too long. The cars in the other direction are on the right -- so it is pretty easy to remember not to drive there. On occasion, I still try to get in on the right side of the car only to find there's no steering wheel. The biggest problem is the narrow roads. We have decent sized roads near us where two cars can squeeze by to pass. Many roads are only one lane but the traffic is two directions. There are no shoulders most places and hedges or stone walls come right up to the road. So you have to find a driveway to pull into to let other cars pass.
 |
| The one lane bridge over the canal on the way to school. |
When Alfonso told me that we had to cross a double blind one lane arched bridge to get to the kids school, I had a mini panic attack. When you get close to the bottom of the bridge, you honk and if no one honks back then you go up and over. If someone honks, then it means they had already started over and you wait for them to cross. Turns out that it is safer to cross these bridges because drivers stop and cross slowly, while the two other bridges on the way to school are narrow but have enough room for two cars can squeeze by each other so no one bothers to slow down. I don't mind driving except for in Dublin. Dublin is too crowded and too confusing.
 |
| Please note the bull. |
Parking spaces are tiny everywhere. Most of the motorways were built between 2000-2010. So travelling between cities is relatively quick and easy. But many of the tourist destinations are off the main roads where it takes a long time to travel short distances. There's an abundance of roundabouts (traffic circles) similar to Israel. Drivers are much nicer here and let people merge and change lanes instead of intentionally cutting them off. The lights take a little getting used to. In the States, the light will be a solid green circle but have a red left arrow. Here there will be a solid red circle but have a green straight arrow and a green left arrow.
Odds and ends
 |
| Wouldn't want to make the sheep worry... |
I am compiling a list of all the words/phrases that have different meanings. I will have a separate post with all the languages oddities. It turns out that English is not English. Most expressions I hear from the kids as they spend more time with Irish folk than I do.
 |
| For a really big cold |
When I first got my cell phone, I was constantly getting calls for other people. I figured it was just from someone else having the number before me. One time, a man told me the number he was trying to reach -- not a single digit was in common with my number. I'm thinking this guy is completely bonkers. Then I try to call my sister and end up talking to some lady in Limerick. After three attempts, I finally get through to Cathy only to find her phone has been ringing but she ends up talking to some guy looking for the lady in Limerick. When I think of lines getting crossed, I picture the old time switchboard operators that are physically putting the lines in the wrong spots. Not sure how it happens in this day in age. There was one woman trying to reach her daughter in the hospital that was connected to me consistently for about two weeks. We started chatting after a while. I haven't heard from her in months now and kind of miss her.
 |
| Cows grazing by the kids' school on a foggy day. |
It rains. Frequently. Never gets too hot. One day this summer, it hit 75 and everyone flooded the beach. Never gets too cold. Rarely snows. Because of all the moisture in the air, it tends to feel colder than it is. The moist air also tends to cause a thin layer of black ice on the roads.
 |
| Escalator for the grocery cart at one of the bigger stores. |
On Sundays, the mall and some bigger stores are open but generally speaking, most things are closed.
You'll see lots of kids (not mine) at the pub doing homework while the parents have a beer or two and socialize.
Tax is already included in prices about 23%. Everything is more expensive here. Except potatoes.
You have to take your own bags to the grocery store. Or pay 20 cents a bag for the cheap plastic bags.
Irish drink tea, not coffee. Yet, no one drinks iced tea.
There aren't many aquatic centers for swimming pools. But you can pay to swim at hotels that have pools.
 |
| This was in Scotland but it is really funny. I'm still laughing about it. |
No comments:
Post a Comment